Wednesday, September 3, 2008

That Sick Feeling in the Pit of Your Stomach...

Oh you have it too? Tonight will be the final game of 2008 as an amazing season comes to a screeching halt...Gateway rallied from a 2-0 deficit and beat Southern Illinois 4-2 last night to clinch the fourth and final playoff slot...Alex Kerins doubled with the bases loaded in the sixth inning to put the Grizzlies in front...

I was sitting with the coaching staff at around 11 last night when the word came...Jon Cahill's phone rang, it was the commish...moments later I got a text message from Gateway's broadcaster, it read simply 4-2 Grizz Final...Sorry man...The look on our faces said it all...The nervous waiting and the excitement from earlier in the night was gone...95 games and 50 wins brought us to within a game of the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, but its that 96th game that won't have any bearing on what happens for us, instead it will be a chance to celebrate the 2008 season...

Some things to chew on...The number 19, ah, ah, ah...What am I the count from Sesame Street? Yes I used to watch that as a youth...

The Beach Bums have a chance to spoil the season for Kalamazoo...The Kings have never been swept this year and if the Beach Bums do that, the Kings could become the second overall seed rather than the top seed...Make sure to listen in tonight for my famous year-end highlight reel...Airtime is 4:45pm with the Labatt Blue On Deck Show...Thanks to everyone for what has been a great second season here in Northern Michigan...I hope you have enjoyed my posts, I will update some details through the offseason as stuff develops in my world...

No comments: