Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Exhibition Thoughts

Well I've been getting the question a lot today so I thought I'd comment on it here...Tim, what'd you think of the team?

The answer is I saw exactly what I was hoping to see...a team with a lot of grit and fight that never gave up despite getting down 4-0 to Gary and 2-0 to Windy City...I saw a bullpen that was unhittable...10 pitchers threw and allowed only two runs, both by one pitcher...Just six hits against the bullpen in those 10 innings...Jared Locke and Nick Pepper worked two of the quickest innings I have ever seen...11 pitches between the two, six outs, four broken bats...

I saw speed...Mike Goetz stole second which helped him score the winning run against Windy City...James Conrad stole second and third in the same at bat to eventually lead to scorign the tying run against Gary...

I saw range...there were literally three center fielders in the outfield for the Gary game...Goetz, Epping, and Roblin...They covered ground like no other...

I saw patience...Some amazing at bats by the hitters, fighting off pitches, battling, making pitchers work to get them out...

I saw persistence...Ryan Gehring and David Nathanson both put difficult first innings behind them to throw great...Gehring retired 10 straight after allowing his fifth hit of the first inning...

I saw the old Steve Young...Wow what a healthy Young can do...three hits against Windy City and another against Gary...two different slots in the order (2nd and 9th)...

That's all I got...I'm happy to answer any questions based on what I saw...One week until opening night!

No comments: