Saturday, June 5, 2010

300


SPARTANS!!!!! That was my best Leonidas impression...

I am not one for individual accomplishments, but in last night's 17-4 loss I broadcast my 300th Frontier League game for a team...I am at 301 if you include the 2008 All Star Game hosted by Traverse City...I have witnessed far more than 300 Frontier League games (I can think of at least five games I have been to on off days and other stuff) but have been behind the mike for 300 as of last night (96 in 07-08, 95 in 09, 13 in 10)...

I say this because, I love the Frontier League...Ultimately I share the same goal as the players, to have an opportunity to further my craft at a higher level, but in the short term have loved being able to broadcast the Frontier League every summer...There was a lot of movement in the Frontier League circles broadcast wise this offseason, maybe more than even managers this year, but I can think of just three others who are currently in the league that have witnessed 300 or more contests...That puts me among, dare I say it, the deans of Frontier League broadcasting...Its a great group to be a part of...The four of us have won a total of five Frontier League Broadcaster of the Year awards and I consider most of the broadcasters in the league to be very good friends of mine whom I try and stay in contact with in the offseason...There are a couple others who aren't far behind the 300 marker...

My overall baseball number is somewhere closer to 400 counting two years of summer college ball, but 300 at the pro level is pretty exciting...

Waxiing poetic with Joe Pott of Gateway last night I recounted a few of the things I have witnessed in three plus seasons in the Frontier League...A triple play (Joe said he has yet to see one -- Thanks Andrew Davis!), two cycles (Brad Miller 08; John Alonso 09 with TC), a no-hitter (Florence's Preston Vancil blanked the Beach Bums last season on July 26 despite seven walks and a hit batsman), a 14-run inning (Frontier League Record) on June 8, 2007 at Kalamazoo in a 20-6 TC win when the Bums batted around twice in the inning, a pair of 3 HR Games (Most recently Matt Maloney of Kalamazoo on May 28, interestingly enough both games ended in a walkoff homer)...

I look forward to making more memories with the Crushers and all of you in 2010...

No comments: