Saturday, May 7, 2011

Exhibitions


UPDATE: Here are some photos from the game at Windy City...

Hi all...First off, its good to be noticed...Which is to say, I am glad that I received emails about the lack of updating this today...I couldn't get the internet at Windy City (They had the internet but my cpu wouldn't connect) so was unable to blog from there tonight...I do however have some updates for you from both last night's 22-3 win over the Northwest Indiana All-Stars and today's victory over Windy City...

Secondly, I hope you enjoyed today's edition of Woody's RailCats Roundup...I will hope to post the audio from the maiden voyage on Sunday, though with the broadcast and us leaving for Evansville it may wait until Sunday night or Monday...The feedback I have received is positive and I am open to suggestiong ons things you would like to hear or people you would like to hear from...

The RailCats shutout Windy City 4-0...Windy City, in my mind, will be one of the top teams in the Frontier League this season...They just opened camp on Thursday and today was their first exhibition...In fact, the T-Bolts didn't even wear numbers on the uniforms (Something I hope will change for tomorrow otherwise the broadcast might get interesting)...I will post some photos I took from the game tomorrow morning probably (I need to get some food in my belly tonight first :))

Scott Shaw looked very impressive in throwing five shutout frames and Zeb Engle and Will Krout were equally as strong in holding off Windy City for two frames each...

It took the offense a little while to get started, but as has been the theme so far this spring, they used speed and walks to eventually help push open the door...While I didn't keep official stats last night during what was more of a scrimmage than an exhibition game, I will say that in the four games I have seen, the RailCats have walked close to 40 times...Tonight was no exception...Four stolen bases, seven walks, and a hit by pitch...Wearing teams down...Adam Klein reached base three times with two walks and stole two bases...He would have scored two runs but was called for leaving early in the ninth attempting to tag on a flyball...Mike Valadez reached in each of his at bats, singling, walking, and stealing a base...Lou Ott and Kyle Haines also found their way on twice with a hit and a walk each...Ott played second in addition to third...

Something you will only hear from me...The Frontier League and the American Association use completely different baseballs...The FL uses Wilson and the AA uses Rawlings...So for each half inning the balls needed to be switched to ensure the 'Cats were throwing the baseballs they would be using all season...

Here the Full Recap

From Friday...I caught my first glimpse of Derrick Gordon, one of the top offseason acquisitions...Without the radar gun on I have no idea how hard he was throwing, but the glove was popping...He threw three innings and struck out five...Also impressive was a name I know well but may be mentioning for the first time on here as a RailCat...David Nathanson...Nathanson, who pitched for three years in Traverse City while I was there, tossed three innings and struck out six, including five in a row at one point...Jeremy Hauer and Chris Chavez also pitched last night...Another name I haven't mentioned is Brian Kolb...Kolb registered four hits against the NWI All-Stars and also notched a hit at Windy City...Suffice it to say that the 'Cats were clicking on all cylinders in the Friday win from the start, tallying five first inning runs...The RailCats scored at least once in all but three frames...Former RailCat Dan Soria was the starting pitcher for the NWI All-Stars, who were managed by front office member Aaron Pineda...

No comments: