Wednesday, May 4, 2011

No-No-Way


Color me jealous...Following yesterday's exhibition game, the Winnipeg Goldeyes staff went to U.S. Cellular Field...Well, they got to see history...Francisco Liriano tossed the first no-hitter of the season in a 1-0 win for the Twins over the White Sox last night...If you had May 3 in your first no-no of the year poll then congrats to you! And if you did, then I deserve to give you some props right here and on air...

Also here on Calderwood's 'Cats Corner you will get random baseball stories...And here is one...First of all if you have ever seen a no-hitter live, do comment...Second of all I have broadcast a no-hitter...In 2009 the Florence Freedom no-hit the Beach Bums (Team I was with at the time) in Kentucky as Preston Vancil walked eight and hit a batter but did not allow a hit...Even though it was against us it was still cool...

But I digress...To my story...I was 10 years old...It was the summer of 1991...I was at Old Comiskey Park for a July 1 game between the White Sox and Yankees...And I witnessed something that is hard to be seen over again...Not a perfect game, though that would be awesome...A no-hitter thrown by a pitcher who lost...It was a sunny day and Andy Hawkins hurled a no-hitter but lost the game 4-0 thanks to his outfielders dropping fly balls due to the sun....Since Hawkins only threw eight innings because he lost, MLB took away credit for throwing that no-hitter...But I was there...How about that? Top that Winnipeg! Hahahaha...

One of the highlights of my life was a visit to Cooperstown in the summer of 2006...While there I got to see the ball from the no-no on display...The Hall of Fame displays balls from every no-hitter thrown and updates its wall every year...I will have to find a photo and add it at some point...

No comments: